Likir trek, Ladakh (India)
It is an easy, beautiful and quick trek that you can do in the Himalayan mountains of Ladakh especially if you don’t have a lot of time.
N.B: The altitude of this trek is above 3500m and around 4000m at some places. It is important to be acclimatized before engaging in this adventure.
We started the journey from Leh (A) (2 nights / 3 days):
- Bus to Likir (B): the bus leaves around 9h AM from the bus stand in Leh. The other way to go to Likir is also to go on the road that leads to Kargil, and from there you can stop any bus. The trek starts from Likir.
- First night at Yangthang (2). One of the most beautiful villages I have ever seen. In the middle of the desert, facing the high snowy peaks (we recommend the Padma guest house).
- Second day: lunch at Hemis (3) where there is a spectacular Buddha statue and a wonderful view on the high mountains.
- Second night at Tingmosgang (4).
- Third and last day: There is a bus that leaves in the morning from Tingmosgang directly to Leh (ask the locals). The other way is to walk down to Nurla. There you are on the road Kargil – Leh again.
In the video below, you will see some of the wonderful views and environment you can expect. On our way from Hemis to Tingmosgang, we obviously took a wrong short cut, and we realized we were “lost” as we had a very long walk down a dry and narrow valley at the end of which we started to see from far a military base of the Indian army. We were lucky to have a lift in the truck of the army with two nice Punjabi soldiers.